Monday, November 25, 2013

Elephant Bath ~ Tuesday, September 24, 2013


After our fest, Ranjan was taking the girls to work and school and Gorima was going into the town of Thaali to get her eyes checked and a new pair of glasses so I joined her; we took two bikes and ventured off on our hour long journey into town. It was hot, but nice to feel the breeze and the sunshine as we rode along the dusty, bumpy path. The busy town was a little nicer than Parsa, but similar. We rode a few minutes along the main road after she got her glasses, and went to Marou’s preschool to visit her, as she's requested earlier in the morning.

One of her teachers welcomed us in with extreme enthusiasm, having Marou’s class perform a few songs for us, and showing us around every class and the rest of the center as if we were prospective parents looking to bring our own child there. We were served water, juice and a few crackers and then we pedaled along to visit Gorima’s aunt, Ranjan’s sister. We stopped at a factory where she was working making egg cartons from recycled cardboard.

It was interesting to see, although I could feel the monotony of the job the women were performing. We spent the next couple of hours between the homes of two of Gorima’s older sisters; one that was like a dungeon and smelled of urine, the other was a new, two-story, open concrete structure. I was really tired and getting a little bored sitting around watching TV and after we had left the second house, and had returned to the first, I asked Gorima if I could start biking back. She came with me, and I felt a bit bad making her leave, but I was really getting impatient.

Buffalo Crossing :)

After a rest in the afternoon, Gorima and I biked to the elephant place and I got to climb up on Lucky and join her for a bath in the river! IT was so awesome. As we walked down in the water, two peacocks flew off across the river as the sun was setting behind us. It was pretty amazing. As payment for my fortunate experience, I was hired to make more elephant sushi. Lucky stood above me with her trunk wagging in my face, impatient for the next roll. The first three I made and placed in her trunk were immediately spit out after Lucky had emptied the rice contents into her mouth. Apparently, she wasn't a fan of my cooking :S ! After I got the technique down (and tore the top layer of flesh off my hands with the sharp grass), Lucky started enjoying my technique and happily munching away at each serving, then sticking her trunk back in my face for more.



We stayed until just after dark and then Gorima and I walked home. She asked if I would bring my mother and father with me when I come back to Nepal, and then “your sisters and children”. “I will miss you.” ☺ Such a sweetheart.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to go on a safari; fortunately, Ranjan has arranged for me to go cheaply – I will only have to pay the park entrance fee of 1,500 and another 900-1000 for the elephant ride. I didn’t really want to do the elephant ride, but he says this will be the best way for me to see the Rhinos. In the morning, we are leaving around 7 to see the BABY elephants!!!:)

I hope to drop off my USB to get some pictures developed and possibly have some time to work on the video tomorrow.

Thursday I am going to the school in the morning to get a staff photo as well as some video of the entire school greeting “Namaste” and waving “Goodbye” to add to the iMovie also. After, I may bike to Sauraha and find a cafĂ© with wifi where I can work on the video, then collect pictures, pick up a couple of things (sweets, balloons, some gift? for the family) and check out the Fair Trade store.

On Friday, I am planning to go to the school to show the iMovie and say goodbye, then I will have my last afternoon/evening with the family. I will have to leave on Saturday morning around 8:30 to go to the bus depot where Ranjan has booked a ticket for me to go to Pokhara. The time seems to have really dragged on, not necessarily in a bad way, but the week since I’ve been here seems so much longer. I will definitely be sad to leave but I am really excited about Pokhara!

Gorima tossing flowers into the air.

Lucky's boss taking her to dinner after her bath.


Making elephant sushi:

No comments:

Post a Comment