Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 ~ My Bathroom Brainstorm


I just went to the washroom.

Still reading? Good. Now hear me out.

It got me thinking about how fortunate we are here in Canada. To be able to go to a toilet in the comfort of your own home (I know I'm not the only one who holds out until I'm in a familiar and safe space!) do your business, flush the toilet and never have to deal with the discards again (hopefully). I didn't have to wander out into the forest and crouch over a clump of grass and bury it in a hole, fearing that a wild animal might come up behind me decide I'm going to be his next meal. I get antsy enough when I go camping and have to worry about mosquitoes biting my ass, let alone getting demolished by a tiger or charged by a rhino.


It has been three months since my visit to Nepal and when I left, I promised Ranjan and his family that I would do my best to raise some money to send back to help the community of Gawai to construct a washroom facility for those families who have never known proper sanitation.

At first I didn't think my short stint in Nepal had altered my outlook on life a great deal. After four years in Asia, I think I've seen some pretty dire situations. China, Philippines, and India are three countries with extremely high poverty rates and I've seen some situations that are absolutely gut-wrenching. Even on a meager backpacker budget, I've never actually had to spare more than a passing glance at the dirty bare feet, the sunken eyes and cheeks, the rotted teeth and the filthy streets. After living in closely knit community and having the opportunity to experience first-hand a very different way of life than I have ever been exposed to, I've certainly learned to be even more appreciative of what I have. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that old cliché, "We're so lucky." Now go back to your warm, cozy bed and eat whatever you want, when you want and drive your cars all over the place and never have to think about it again. Many of us are told growing up how fortunate we are to have what we have and it's just like telling one of your girlfriends that she can do better when she's dating some guy who treats her like crap, sometimes you just have to live it and learn it for yourself.

Though I realize that this can be a difficult time of year for people, so much to do, people to see, gifts to buy, I would ask you to stop and think about what you're giving and what you're asking to be given this holiday season.

I have always *hated* asking for money and handouts; door-to-door chocolate bar selling in Elementary school. I would have preferred piled wood for my father for a week than have to go through that hellish experience. I guess that was until I was inspired by the kindness of the people in Nepal as well as inquiries from some generous friends around the globe who were interested in helping out.

I have created a PayPal account (linked to the right) where you can easily donate any amount and I will provide a little certificate if the donation is being given as a gift in someone's name. I have already had a few people offer to give me cash donations which I will forward on to Ranjan's bank account in Nepal.

If you or anyone else would like to donate to this cause and help with my goal of raising $1500 to provide a basic human necessity to these wonderful Nepalese people, they (and I) would be so, so grateful.

This would be the 3rd toilet facility built in this community of 100+ residents. Previous donations from past volunteers have provided the structure pictured above which services approximately 10 families.

Thank you to those of you who have expressed your interest in this cause and for your support, even if it is just through positive comments! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment